Actavo rolled out the Removal of emergency steam relief valves and the restoration of roof integrity at Sizewell Nuclear Power Station in Suffolk.
Scope of works
- Create safe access to roof space for work activities
- Create stairway routes and specialist access
- Provision of workstations
- Clearing workspaces and access routes
- Isolation of mechanical and electrical systems
- Removal of emergency steam relief valves
- Restoration and refurbishment of roof integrity
- Project management
- Subcontractor management
- Access and scaffolding
- Mechanical and electrical isolation
- Rigging and lifting using specialist crane company
- Valve removal
- Roof repairs and refurbishment
Actavo invested experience and learning from other sites to offer optimum solutions, especially working safely at height and handling and rigging materials for safe transportation and positioning.
- ‘Zero harm’ achieved
- Demonstrated project leadership
- Focused on solutions
- Communicated and coordinated with client
- Operated as Project Managers and Project Leaders
Solutions to challenges
To provide safe access to the roof, addressing its age, design, construction and condition, which contained insulation made with asbestos bearing materials.
Actavo designed a bespoke access solution which included safe working stations for all activities. It provided fixed and mobile, as well as suspended scaffolding, staircases, and work platforms that acted as holding stations. Once in place, the mechanical and electrical systems were isolated and removed using mobile cranes. The valves were lifted from above by a crane and the roof made weather-tight.
Managed an integrated solution for the removal of steam relief valves, addressing working with dangerous materials in a hazardous environment.
Removed asbestos bearing materials, managed the mechanical and electrical contractors, coordinated crane activities and led safety management.
Health & Safety
To make the roof watertight and clear out access points to restore the building to functionality involved accessing difficult to reach areas.
Actavo made the roof weather tight, while addressing safety, height, and weather requirements.
Benefits to client
Actavo understood the work and came up with bespoke solutions for every requirement.
Actavo has worked on several complex nuclear sites, with a proven track record for safety over 20 years.
- Used rigorous planning methodology ahead of works.
- Developed solutions with team and trusted outside specialists.
- Followed a stringent schedule.
- Provided detailed client reports.
Health & Safety
The project was delivered with no injuries or incidences and on schedule.