Actavo was hired to design, supply and install a steel framed modular 119m2 two-storey staff welfare extension.
Health & Safety
Managing safety on site, with a special emphasis on Covid-19. Measures included: daily temperature checks; programming work so only two personnel were in a room at any one time; and keeping a record of all visitors and workers on site for contact tracing purposes.
Ensuring works did not adversely affect operations in the station. The new building was planned for the existing car park, which is used for patrol cars. Actavo constructed a new car park for use by the station before installing the new building. The modular structure allows for quick building installation time and reduced removal and re-instatement time if or when the structure is moved.
Energy efficient: The building is one of the first Nearly Zero Energy Building (NZEB) compliant buildings in Ireland.
Scope of works
The design, fabrication, installation, commissioning, certification and handover of a two-storey accommodation block at Macroom Garda Station. Carry out the role of main building contractor, including all building and civil engineering works, as well as services connections and terminations to the existing station. Performing the role of Project Supervisor Construction Stage.
- Design, fabrication and installation of a two-storey, steel framed structure consisting of
- Ground floor recreation room and canteen / staff kitchen
- First floor male and female changing rooms, showers and bathrooms
- Building stair core
- Delivery and installation of prefabricated structure in four modules
- Sub structure ground works for prefabricated structure foundations
- Electrical connections to the main building
- Drainage works including tying into existing site sewers and water supply
Solutions to challenges
During construction, walkways had to be left clear for garda personnel and visitors to the station. Actavo managed deliveries in a way that did not obstruct operations.
As site access was very tight, and with a school nearby, Actavo installed the structure at the weekend to avoid school children entering and exiting, as well as other members of the public.
Due to extra safety measures relating to Covid-19, anyone working on site had to get security clearance at least one week before commencing. The Actavo team managed all visits to site carefully and planned activities in advance.
Benefits to client
- Minimum disruption to ongoing daily activities, as most of the manufacturing is done off site.
- Actavo manages the project from conception to completion, from construction to ground works, mechanical and electrical works and security. The client does not have to deal with multiple stakeholders.