Actavo built a compliant, steel framed, modular, two-storey operations building, including offices and staff welfare as part of the Connolly Quarter Development - a major infrastructure project in Dublin.
Scope of works
To provide a turnkey, high specification, Near Zero Energy (NZEB), 833m2 modular office for Iarnród Éireann personnel at Fairview Sidings, Dublin.
- Designed and fabricated 30 modules.
- Installed LED light fittings and smart electrical systems to reduce overall energy consumption.
- Installed highly efficient air source heat pump.
- Supplied fire rated windows.
- Installed fall arrest system on the roof.
Solutions to challenges
- Bespoke foundation solution with cantilevered walkway was used to maximise available ground area for building.
- The work was adjacent to a live railway line. Actavo provided 6 weeks’ notice for power lines to be turned off.
- Actavo achieved a temporary work solution for setting up the crane on what was previously a landfill site that had been piled with a concrete slab.
Benefits to client
- The team established a close liaison between Iarnród Éireann safety personnel and Actavo SHEQ, with RAMS continually updated.
- Actavo provided a solution to install the modules safely in a very restricted location.
- Actavo adhered to Iarnród Éireann’s strict Health & Safety procedures.
- Offsite modular construction led to an 85% reduction in site traffic. In a location with such compromised space, this achieved no delay to programme.
- Greatly reduced programme time compared with traditional building methods.
- Actavo devised an in-house Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QAQC) app to manage all stages of the fabrication process. It allowed cell and site supervisors to easily document, track and photograph key aspects of the build. The information was communicated to the client at weekly meetings as the project advanced and was stored for future reference.
- One of the first fully NZEB compliant operations buildings provided to Iarnród Éireann.
- Zero LTIs.
- Delivered on time and in budget.
- No disruption to railway services.