This project involved the removal and replacement of vertical and inclined glazing to the turbine hall and the reactor buildings, as well as the removal and replacement of roof lights to the turbine hall.
Scope of works
- Survey work requirements
- Select and manage subcontractors
- Design safe access to carry out works
- Develop methodology for work activities
- Undertake, agree and publish risk assessments
- Remove damaged panels
- Install glazing and mesh panels
- Demolish existing cleaning rails around reactors
663 glazed panels were replaced, and 3,400 safety-mesh panels were installed. Services included:
- Project management
- Contractor management
- Access design
- Access provision
- Removal of damaged panels
- Removal of asbestos containing materials
- Demolition of cleaning rails
- Installation of new panels
- Zero LTIs
- Project delivered on time and within budget
- Integrity of the buildings was successfully restored
- Effective collaboration and clear communication were established from the beginning of the planning stage to ensure smooth running of the project.
- Forecasting of potential challenges led to strategies to avoid interruption to operations.
Solutions to challenges
Although no longer operational, the station presented potential risks. Working at height, handling materials with damaged integrity, and avoiding harm from asbestos were addressed at the work face and the wider area and stakeholder community. Actavo addressed risks by: providing safe access for activities; employing traditional, powered and bespoke solutions; avoiding movement of materials without support and containment; and adhering rigorously to approved safety procedures.
The varying height, condition and orientation of the panels around the circular building required a carefully developed and managed approach for each element. This requirement was multiplied and increased for the overall project.
Benefits to client
Actavo understood the work and developed bespoke solutions for every requirement.
Actavo has extensive experience working on complex nuclear sites and a proven track record for safe performance over more than 20 years working with Magnox.
Planning and coordination
Activities were planned in detail in advance, using in-house solutions and the expertise of trusted and approved specialists, resulting in a tailored project approach.
Actavo followed a stringent schedule and used rigorous methodology to plan the job, including providing details to the client.
Health & Safety
The project was delivered successfully, with no injuries, or incidences and on schedule.