Actavo was tasked to design, supply and install a steel framed modular 108m2 Covid-19 Testing Unit for St. Vincent’s University Hospital. The unit consisted of 2 clinic rooms complete with en-suites and donning and doffing areas.
Scope of works
To design, fabricate, install, commission, certify and handover a single-storey Covid-19 Testing Unit.
Designed, built, installed, commissioned, certified, and handed over the Testing Unit at St Vincent’s Hospital. Carried out all building, services connections and terminations to the existing hospital.
Planning: Works had to be planned with all stakeholders well in advance, due to the limits imposed in response to Covid-19.
Organisation: With a very tight deadline due to the immediate need for the product, all works had to be carried out quickly and carefully.
- Reducing on-site construction greatly reduced the disruption to the hospital, as the unit was built on an existing carpark.
- Due to the modular design, installation was completed in a day resulting in minimal disruption to hospital operations
Solutions to challenges
Flexible design: To minimise contact between staff and patients due to Covid-19, a central control room, cleaning supplies and staff area were designed with separate entrances and exits.
Strong supply chain: During lockdown, sourcing material was a challenge as a lot of suppliers were closed. Due to the strong relationships Actavo has built up over the years, the team was able to successfully procure supplies through alternative routes.
Benefits to client
- Actavo provided this essential building during the Covid-19 lockdown period, incorporating the new safety procedures and social distancing with no incidences.
- Internal finishes were specified to comply with stringent hospital requirements.
- There was no disruption to existing hospital services.