The provision of privacy fencing in training grounds at 12 locations across the UK for the Women’s European Football Championships.
Scope of works
The supply, installation, maintenance, and removal of over 7,000m of fence panels and 1,625m of privacy screening for the team training grounds.
- Actavo achieved all the client’s objectives; meeting tight timelines - initial tender publication to final derig on site in less than 12 weeks - and the ability to cover 12 locations across the UK concurrently.
- The derig of each venue required a high level of flexibility as it depended on when each team was eliminated from the competition. This meant on match day, Actavo was in communication with the crew and transport to promptly begin planning once the results were in. This determined where in the UK we needed to be and what logistics were needed.
Solutions to challenges
- Actavo’s precision planning led to smoothly run training for the games. Misjudgment of the distribution of stock and staff across all 12 venues would have delayed training programmes for specific grounds, meaning some teams would have had an unfair advantage.
- When privacy screening is applied to temporary fencing it reduces the wind loads, creating a sail effect. Delivering in the UK means we must be prepared for unpredictable weather, including strong winds. Actavo’s in-house engineers worked with engineers from our fencing manufacturer ZND and the product team to review calculations and stabilisation products to ensure Actavo could achieve safe loadings whilst ensuring the products installed were suitable for each site.
- Actavo’s solution was to place a triangle of additional panels every third panel. This triangle was then anchored in the ground with a spiral anchor pin and ratchet strapped back to the fence. Anti-lift devices were also used to prevent panels lifting out of the anchored blocks.
Benefits to client
- Our senior team is comprised of highly experienced events professionals, many with over 30 years’ expertise designing, delivering, and managing complex high-profile events.
- We provided a turnkey service from initial concept, in-house design and engineering, scheduling, in-house health and safety support, on-site install, standby, derig and post event follow up.
- The project had a dedicated project manager and was delivered by a fully trained and experienced on-site team, with a relentless focus on safety and customer experience.
Despite joining the project with a relatively short lead time ahead of the tournament, the team at Actavo worked very closely with the LOS to deliver the necessary infrastructure ready for the event start. Strong and regular communication between the two organisations was key to the successful relationship, with Actavo staff and associated consultants readily on hand to discuss issues to be resolved at short notice and showing flexibility to work around other delivery demands: namely the installation of signage using the same infrastructure. We are grateful for Actavo’s proactive approach and positive attitude towards problem solving within tight deadlines.
Adam KalinieckiTeam Services Coordinator for UEFA